Re: [OPE-L] gold and the struggle against US and European imperialism

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 04:55:02 EST

> The dollar is socially acceptable. In this case gold's function,
> which remains as the universal equivalent, reamisn the commodity
>  which by its nature is most suited to expessing the social, abstract,
> nature of human labour under capital, continues to exist, to guide
> the process from behind the scenes...  <snip, JL>

Paul B,

On what basis can you demonstrate that gold remains the
"universal equivalent"?   As far as I can tell, your  assertion rests solely
on the claim that central banks continue to hold gold reserves.

> Why is there any gold at all at Fort Knox? Why do the Europeans
> keep gold in the Fed? That is the question to be asked...

That is a question that I have already answered (see my 12/5 reply
to Claus with the subject title "why do central banks still hold gold
reserves?").

In solidarity, Jerry