Re: [OPE-L] Chavez and Trotsky

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 12:33:14 EST

>          My point in raising the question of the informal sector is
> that--- given its weight around the world, this is precisely something
> that Marxist economists should be talking about and analysing. Talking
> about the 'dictatorship of the proletariat' in the concrete circumstances
>  in much of  the world seems to me to require analysis of the objective
> situation first. This wasn't/isn't meant as a criticism--- just a proposal
for
> discussion, etc.

Mike L,

The issue of the DoP is the issue of class rule.  One can posit that
despite class segmentation and cultural and international differences,
there is an underlying basis for proletarian unity.  What is the basis
for unity on the international -- or even national -- level of producers
in the petty commodity (informal) sector?   Does the logic of that unity
move that sector towards anti-capitalism and alliances with the
proletariat or in some other direction?  Does the self-interest of
members of that sector lie in surpassing capitalism or reproducing it?
What would be the basis for proletarian-informal sector unity?

I don't think these questions can be adequately answered on the
'macro' (world capitalist) level but have to be addressed more
concretely by considering the interplay between the state, capital,
and the proletariat and other classes at the 'micro' (national,
regional, urban) level.   But, I'm willing to listen to answers to the
above questions if  you or other list members can suggest answers.

In solidarity, Jerry