Re: [OPE-L] posing problems

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 09:20:50 EST

> Perhaps someone can help me: Was it Marx who wrote that "history does
> not pose problems it cannot solve"?

Paul A,

"Mankind thus inevitably sets itself only such tasks as it is able to solve,
since closer examination will always show that the problem itself  arises
only when the material conditions for its solution are already present or
at least in the course of formation" ("Preface" to _A Contribution to the
Critique of Political Economy_).

As I have remarked before, I find this assertion to be problematic.

In solidarity, Jerry