Re: [OPE-L] J Winternitz's "The Marxist Theory of Crisis" online

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 12:22:33 EST

At 12:46 PM -0200 12/20/04, Francisco Paulo Cipolla wrote:
>Rakesh,
>Itoh´s argument seems to be the exact contrary to what you develop below.

The excerpt is from Winternitz. The piece seems confused in some
ways. Why do downturns first appear in Div II but are strongest in
Div I? What exactly explains the turning point in the cycle? The
reduction of credit? What exactly causes that?

>According to him during expansions the OCC does not rise because there is
>plenty of demand to keep all the outdated equipment running.

Winternitz is arguing that in the boom demand may be strong enough
both to effect continously technical change as embodied in
accumulated capital goods and to keep running equipment that will
become outdated in the recessionary phase.

On empirical grounds I am skeptical of the claim that booms are
usually brought to an end by the physical constraint of labor
shortage and wage pressure from extensive capital accumulation. As
the potential supply of labor has been increased manifold through the
incorporation of India, China and Eastern Europe, one would have to
subscribe to an end of the business cycle thesis.

rb