Re: [OPE-L] Letter from France: In Europe, Islam fills Marxism's old shoes

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 05:55:25 EST

When this point was first made to me about 1990 by old comrades
from the Candian Party of Labour, who had switched to support for
the Islamic Revolution in Iran, I was skeptical. Now it is
pretty obvious. They said that in the middle east is was now the
Islamic radicals who were the voice of the dispossesed.

This clearly had some truth in it. We should reflect on the fact
that the scientific validity of Marxist economic theories are
not all that strongly correlated to its success as a social movement.
The success of a movement depends on it being able to offer
millenarian hope. With the defeat of the USSR that prospect
lost credibility and it now seems no more plausible than the
prospects painted by  Islamic radicals.