[OPE-L] Economics, She Wrote

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 10:50:44 EST

More information on _Liberating Economics: Feminist
Perspectives on Families, Work, and Globalization_ by
Drucilla Barker and Susan Feiner is attached.

I met the authors (and the rest of Susan's family) on two
occasions while sailing in Maine (Ah! Coastal Maine! What
a beautiful area!)  One thing I recall is that they originally
wanted the title of the text to be _Economics, She Wrote_
(a play on words on a TV series,  that has since ended,
based on Agatha Christie mystery novels).

Chapter 7 on "Globalization and the Informal Economy"
sounds especially noteworthy from the perspective of
the discussion we were having on the "working class and
the informal sector."  It would be nice if we could consider
feminist perspectives more in our discussions ....

Susan <sffein@usm.maine.edu> told me that they hope
to have a website up soon. The price for the paperback
is quite reasonable. To request an examination copy for
course use go to http://www.press.umich.edu. There is
a discount code on the attachment.

In solidarity, Jerry