Re: [OPE-L] Historical Materialism and the Capitalist State

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 22:04:18 EST

At 08:44 01/01/2005, jerry wrote:
>http://marxists.org/archive/mandel/1980/xx/hismatstate.htm
>

>Ernest Mandel's "Historical Materialism and the Capitalist State",
>1980,  has been translated by Jurriaan and is now available for
>the *first time in English* at the MIA (Marxists Internet Archive).
>

>Excerpt:
>"Every attempt to deduce the character and essence of the capitalist
>state directly from the categories of Marx's _Capital_ -- whether
>from 'capital in general', from the exchange and commercial relations
>at the surface of bourgeois society, or from the conditions of the
>valorization of capital -- overlooks that this state, as an institution
>separated from society and transformed into an autonomous apparatus,
>was not created by the bourgeoisie itself."

A very quick comment in between trips:
         Really? Is that how we are to understand 'the character and
essence of the capitalist state'? According to the conditions of its
'becoming'--- ie., its historical origins?
         yours for a red new year,
           michael

>In solidarity, Jerry

Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724