Re: [OPE-L] Remembering Bob Heilbroner

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@UFPR.BR)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 14:17:47 EST

Hi Jerry!
When did exactly you take Heilbronerīs HET? I think it was in 1981 for I
remember your very participative presence in some oval table wehere questions
were discussed, I think, under his presence.
What stroke me in those 1981 classes taught by Heilbroner was that he would
read whole sentences in front of large audiences. I must tell though that he
knew which quotes to make for they were really illustrative of a point he was
making at the moment.
That year, as was probably his custom, Heilbroner distributed a handout
explaining what one should avoid while writing a paper. That handout
encouraged a direct writing, without dubious or inapropriately exclamative
sentences. It made an impression on me for some of the things I was not
supposed to do were indeed part of my habit. I wrote on Ricardoīs theory of
value. Got an A.
Paulo