Re: [OPE-L] Jacques Gouverneur's new text on Marxist economics

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 14:38:22 EST

At 2:19 PM -0500 2/3/05, Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM wrote:
>  > I think the point of the cowritten piece by Michele Naples was that
>>  an introductory economics textbook which has scientific pretension
>>  should be very clear on the nature and source of profit in a profit
>>  oriented system.  A textbook should be judged by the clarity of the
>>  answer that it provides and the superiority of that answer over
>>  alternative explanations. The Marxian texts that you mentioned are
>>  thus not the best introductions to Marx's Capital as a work in the
>>  history of economic thought; they are simply the best introductions
>>  to economics.
>
>Rakesh:
>
>The article by Naples and Nahid Aslanbeigui was very explicitly directed
>towards the *neoclassical* answers presented by introductory textbooks,
>not Marxian or heterodox economics texts.

So what? Neo classical or not, a textbook should have a clear profit
theory, positively elaborated and critical of alternatives. Does
Naples disagree with that? I would not think so.

>Michele used to assign Swartz and Bonello _Clashing Views on
>Controversial Economics Issues_ (McGraw-Hill) for her intro. classes
>in economics.  I don't know if she still does.  I don't have experience
>using this book -- have others on the list? -- but I don't generally find
>"controversial issues"  books to be very well organized as texts and
>they generally leave out too much "basic theory" material that I believe
>should be covered in an introductory course.

What should be presented is a clear and true theory of the nature and
source of profit. Do you disagree?

By the way, Jerry, I was wondering whether you were making any
progress in stepping down from the admissions committee to OPE-L. You
have exercised defacto veto power over for ten years. That seems a
bit crazy.  Admissions should be turned over to existing advisory
committee. Thanks.

Rakesh