Re: [OPE-L] admissions decision-making by consensus

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 13:01:43 EST

At 8:43 PM -0500 2/3/05, Paul Zarembka wrote:
>Rakesh,
>
>Get five people signed together on a petition and post it; or stop wasting
>patience.
>
>Paul Z.

Paul,
I think you should realize that even if members of the Advisory
Committee recommended off list to Jerry Levy that he should allow for
rotation of membership on the admissions committee, he would probably
not listen. The Advisory Committee already knows that people I wanted
admitted to this list could only be accepted after the Advisory
Committee was formed and Jerry Levy would have to be accountable for
his veto power. And let it be noted that people about whom I am
speaking are not in any related to the TSS school. I am also not
trying to open the door to the TSS school. In fact the Advisory
Committee which I think should have control over admissions is hardly
sympathetic to the TSS school. Rotation is just a matter of our being
a group and operating as a group, not being subjects to the
decisionism of any one person. I remain bewildered by how this could
be controversial.

So I would like to know if there is anyone other than Jerry Levy who
disagrees with this.

New admissions should be handled by the Advisory Committee
alone--Allin, Fred and Alejandro. No one should serve more than five
years on the admissions committee henceforth. The committee will
choose new members by consensus.

In fact I very much doubt that you disagree with this.

Rakesh