[OPE-L] Uniquely American: Bush's Compassionate Conservatism

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 10:00:13 EST

A short GloboList message sent by Joe Smith. The irony of Bush's
comments should be obvious./ In solidarity, Jerry

[Excerpts from a PRNewswire release]

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?
ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/02-04-2005/0002951038&EDATE=

WASHINGTON, Feb. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- The following are remarks by
President Bush in a conversation on strengthening social security:

Qwest Center Omaha Arena Omaha, Nebraska 8:40 A.M. CST

THE PRESIDENT: Okay, Mary, tell us about yourself.

MS. MORNIN: Okay, I'm a divorced, single mother with three grown,
adult children. I have one child, Robbie, who is mentally
challenged, and I  have two daughters.... I work three jobs and
I feel like I contribute.

THE PRESIDENT: You work three jobs?

MS. MORNIN: Three jobs, yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic
that you're doing that. (Applause.) Get any sleep? (Laughter.)

MS. MORNIN: Not much. Not much.

THE PRESIDENT: Well, hopefully, this will help you get you sleep to
know that when we talk about Social Security, nothing changes.
<...>