Re: [OPE-L] Marx's Form of Analysis

From: Philip Dunn (pscumnud@DIRCON.CO.UK)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 09:03:32 EST

Jerry

In reply only to the last part of your post.

The role of use-value is very wide in Marx.  In addtion to its basic role as
material bearer I can list off the top of my head the following:

1. The equivalent form of value has the peculiarity that use-value becomes the
form of appearance of its opposite, value.  Use-value expressing value???

2. The use-value of the commodity labour-power possesses the peculiar property
of being a source of value.  Use-value creating value???

3. The distinction between value-creating labour and value-transferring labour
results from the two-fold character of labour.  Useful labour transfering
value???

4. the distinction between fluid and fixed capital is made by considering
whether or not the use-value is transferred to the product along with the
value.

Phil

Quoting Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM:

<SNIP>

> > As to use-value, someone once said that for Marx value was King
> > but use-value was Lord High Everything Else.  Does anyone recall who
> > sais that?
>
> The Marx associated with the expression "Lord High Everything
> Else" was none other than  -- you bet your life -- Graucho.  So,
> whoever said the above was playfully mixing Marxs.
>
> In solidarity, Jerry

Philip Dunn