Re: [OPE-L] Marx's Form of Analysis

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 08:40:00 EST

Hans,

I'm not sure how to go about replying without being
repetitive.  I'll say the following for now: for products
of labor to have an exchange value which is expressed in money
and for that exchange value to have a 'rough correspondence'
to labour time does not constitute the entire range of social
relations associated with value.  Value's constitutive (that word
again!) form is associated not merely with labor time but with
SNLT and  _abstract labour_, which I do _not_ view as a
trans-historical category.  The "social relations" of value
constitute specific social relations of production and class
relations.  What is sometimes viewed as a transhistorical
topic, I view as a subject specific to the nature of capitalism.
I also believe that the subject of _Capital_, beginning with the
very first sentence of Ch. 1 of Volume 1, is capitalism.  The
theory of value as initially presented in Ch. 1 can not be
understood separate from a recognitions that capitalism is
indeed the subject and that the theory of value is not
explained only in Ch. 1 -- rather the dialectic of value constitutes
the thread that runs throughout _all_ of _Capital_. This
means, in part, that Marx's theory of value can not be
divorced from his theory of surplus value and the purchase
and sale of labour-power as a commodity.

In solidarity, Jerry