Re: [OPE-L] Marx's Form of Analysis

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 14:43:24 EST

Hi Hans:

> Value is a specific social relation,
> and can be grasped as such, even if there is no wage labor.

By specific social relations I understand specific relations of
production which are associated with specific class relations.

> Arguing otherwise would be like saying that children are not
> humans because they are not adults.

Poor analogy, imo.  The relation between capital and wage-labour
emerged in the 'childhood' of capital but only became generalized as
the dominant  social relation of production when capitalism
became the  dominant mode of production.  The beginnings of the
value relation thus predate the dominance and 'adulthood'  of
capitalism.

In solidarity, Jerry