Re: [OPE-L] the robotic army -- "they do not get hungry, they are not afraid"

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@EBMS-LTD.CO.UK)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 08:14:29 EST

These issues do not change the actual social relations. We can see in the
quote copied here a direct replication of the notion of  the substition of
'constant capital', specifically 'fixed capital'  for 'labour',  central to
accumulation.

"While the cost of the scheme is huge, it may ultimately save large sums of
> money. Professional soldiers, their dependants and pensions are pricey.
Once
> robotic technology is developed, the Americans say, the cost of a robot
>  soldier might be only 10 per cent that of its human counterpart."

If identification and death is certain then  the issue of 'suicide warfare'
( from primitive and desperately wild charges at the enemy, to 'kamikaze',
or suicide bombers decisions) simply appears on a greater scale.  Death
before dishonour is not new. If identification and death is certain then
clearly the ruling class have to maintain the 'death sentence'.....ie
maintain barbarism to maintain rule. Thus  from the articles,  'Mr Johnson,
who leads robotics efforts at the Joint
>  Forces Command research centre, said: "The lawyers
>  tell me there are no prohibitions against robots
>  making life-or-death decisions.'
 .
This is an extension of the Gauntanamo doctrine.

The key question remains, not what they do, but how do we stop all their
sickness?

PB.

Where does all this lead us