Re: [OPE-L] Fwd: Marx's Form of Analysis

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 05:16:19 EST

Hi Jurrien,

We are agree on 'value-added'.

Of course 'price' is a more complex category than 'exchange value'. This initial question Marx in fact poses is 'why do commodities have a socially given (set of) exchange value(s)?': answer, because they are commensurable as values.

It transpires later on that the same the same essential question can be posed more sharply as 'why do commodities have a socially given price?': answer, as above. The passage of your to which I was objecting actually mixed exchange value and price as somehow possible *answers* this question.

Thanks,
Andy