Re: [OPE-L] standard commodity

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 07:54:01 EST

> Not at all.
> We nearly all use notation that derives from Sraffa and to a lesser
> extent Leontief. As far as I am aware it was they that were responsible
> for the importation of matrix representations into Marxist economic
> discourse.

Paul C,

Taken literally, the above combined with the excerpt below from a
claims:

i)  the mathematical techniques employed alter our view of production;

ii) our view of production is that it can be represented by (linear and)
    matrix algebra.

Is that your position?

i) seems to me to be arse-backwards: i.e. our view of production
determines (or should determine) what quantitative techniques are
employed to describe that process rather than vice versa.

ii) seems to assert that the production process can be described
as a linear process.  Yet, shouldn't we view production as
part of a non-linear dynamic process?

You also make a history of thought claim  that Sraffa and
Leontief  "were responsible for the importation of matrix
representations into Marxist economic discourse."   Have you
forgotten about von Bortkiewicz?

In solidarity, Jerry