Re: [OPE-L] standard commodity

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 13:49:36 EST

At 6:55 AM -0800 3/23/05, ajit sinha wrote:
>--- Andrew Brown <A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK> wrote:
>
>>  Hi Ajit,
>>
>>  In a system of generalised commodity production we
>>  aren't much interested in the exchange value of a
>>  commodity in relation to just one other commodity!
>>  That isn't what we mean by 'purchasing power' or
>>  exchange value, nor is it the true significance of
>>  'price'. We do not acquire money only for its own
>>  sake but because it allows us command over all the
>>  goods produced in the economy, in some or other
>>  definitie quantitities. Isn't this the key
>>  significance of money? It (money) is the general
>>  equivalent and it has a crucial quantitative
>>  dimension for us that is not captured by reference
>>  to the exchange relation with just one good! (If you
>>  disagree then here certainly lies a deep disagrement
>>  between us).  We are interested in generalised
>>  purchasing power and so need to quantify it.
>_________________
>
>Andrew, you may be interested in ghost stories and
>ghosts may be having real influence in many people's
>life. But that does not mean that my paper or Sraffa
>or anyone else must deal with ghost stories. The
>problem appears to me is that you have a private
>meaning of numeraire.

Economists' understanding of the numeraire is a private affair; it
is the meaning that money has in the private
world of economists and nowhere else.

>  Our paper deals with numeraire,
>which has a well defined meaning in economic theory,
>particularly in the theory that our paper is designed
>to critique. How about if I say that poverty is the
>most serious economic problem and your theory says
>nothing about how to measure poverty or reduce
>poverty. So, there! That's my criticism of your
>theory. You will be legitimately allowed to say,
>"bull"!
>______________________
>
>  But,
>>  absent a theory of value by which we can reduce to
>>  one dimension the manifestly diverse goods that
>>  money enables us to purchase, all we can do to
>>  quantify purchasing power of, say, a unit of money
>>  is consider the whole set or vector of goods, each
>>  of which costs one unit of money. Then one unit is
>>  'worth' one of these vecotrs, two units is worth two
>>  and so on.
>___________________________
>
>But why do we have to do this? What theoretical
>purpose does it serve?
>_________________________
>  But this obviously breaks down once new
>>  goods come along so to get a measure of generalised
>>  exchange value -- or purchasing power -- through
>>  time then becomes impossible without the 'third
>>  thing', value, that allows us to commensurate
>>  otherwise incommensurable diverse commodities.
>_______________________
>
>How does value help you here?
>_______________________
>>
>>  Alas, your other replies seem to me to offer a
>>  'revisionist' history of our actual conversation!
>>  But I really would like to know your view of the
>>  relationship between labour times as prices. Please,
>>  this question does not presuppose you think there is
>>  one, you can just reply: 'I don't think there is any
>>  relationship'. Any sort of substantive reply would
>>  be very helpful for me. I tried to answer this
>>  question for myself previously but failed to make
>>  any sense to you. Let's truncate my own previous
>>  reply: in terms of simply magnitude (your favourite
>>  terms?), I think it is a positive relationship, and
>>  a pretty strong one. But it is not exact, not
>>  ergodic.
>_______________________
>
>Yes, but the statement that it has "a positive
>relationship" does not make sense. First of all if
>value theory has to explain why 'one quarter of corn =
>x cwt. of ironí, as Marx put it, then in that case the
>statement that labor and prices have positive
>relationship is meaningless.

No Marx is not interested at first in explaining
the exchange ratio. In the first part of Capital,
he wants to show what it is that money has to
alone represent if commodities only exchange
against it. He tries to unlock the mystery by
beginning with the accidental form of value which
is not analyzed in order to explain the exchange
ratio of linen and cloth but to uncover the
substance of value which a single commodity alone
comes to represent in the highest form of value.

Let's take your approach; say I make steel the
numeraire; then (assuming that steel is a
universal input) I reduce the inputs in all other
commodities to steel so that I may assign them
each a respective steel value. A numeraire
however represents nothing other than itself. It
is only a convenience for the calculation of
exchange ratios.But how can a mere device for
calculation convenience and have fetishistic
power? Giving everything a steel value does not
explain  in virtue of its representation of what
would steel be able to monopolize direct
exchangeability. There is no reason why
commodities could not exchange against each other
in terms of their steel values.

Money is a fetish because it alone embodies the
social relation among laborers, not because all
other commodities can be reduced to embodiments
of its concrete substance.

  For Marx gold does not only represent itself.
Because Marx shows that it alone represents
abstract social labor (this is what Marx
discusses in the three peculiarities of the
equivalent form), the mystery of fetishistic
power is thereby disclosed. Gold is (of course
was) not a fetish in virtue of any of its own
properties or its status as a physical input
common to commodities; it is a fetish in virtue
of its monopoly of representation of a social
substance of which all commodities are a mode of
appearance.

So my sense here is that Marx thought he had
established that the substance of value had to be
abstract social labor because  in alone having
come to represent abstract social labor money had
thereby gained fetishistic powers that a
numeraire as a mere calculation device alone
could not possess. That is, Marx's theory of the
substance of value allows him to explain the
power of money.

Rakesh