Re: [OPE-L] standard commodity

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Fri Mar 25 2005 - 04:39:45 EST

Hi,

Likewise quickly,

There would be no use, nor truth, in the LTV if there were no quantitative relation between price and labour time. My point is simply that it doesn't need to be an exact proportional relation. Your theoretical point boils down to making the far too bold claim that absent exact proportionality there can be no theory. You keep asking about how labour time and price are related. But we know the answer: it is through the processes of competition, i.e. through the mechanism of the 'invisible hand'.

Yes, there are qualitaive as well as quantitative reasons for the LTV (basically any society has to determine labour allocation, in our society this is thorugh price).

Re. your view of 'science'. This is another interesting issue and we do disagree but we can pursue another time.

Many thanks

Andy