Re: [OPE-L] John H on capitalist and anti-capitalist conceptions of time

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Fri Mar 25 2005 - 11:02:08 EST

Toward the conclusion of this piece, we can read:

  "The traditional idea of revolution tells us contain our impatience, to
subordinate our impatience to the patient construction of the party. But we
do not want to fall into that, for it kills the movement by boredom. We too
have two temporalities: the temporality of the impatient ˇYa basta!,
revolution here and now! and the temporality of the patient construction of
another world. But in the traditional concept impatience is subordinated to
patience, and in our concept it should surely be the other way around:
patience is there to give force to the impatience of refusal, not to
subordinate it. The wisdom of experience is there not to restrain the rage
of youth, but to give it strength."

John Holloway's position here is identical to that to the Revolutionary
Communist Party U.S.A., whether he would welcome that connection or not.

Paul

RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY,  Paul Zarembka, editor, Elsevier Science
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka