Re: [OPE-L] John H on capitalist and anti-capitalist conceptions of time

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 22:07:27 EST

"Rage"?  If a person experiences rage against something/someone I
wouldn't think it ipso facto makes the target the correct target.

1. An anarchist working with Emma Goldman shoots and almost kills Frick of
Homestead Steel.  The workers' struggle is dealt a severe blow (partly due
also to an accident of history that Frick's few-day old son dies in that
same week).  Was this misdirected rage, or something quick different from
rage (e.g., misdirected intellectualism).

2.  Weise kills many at his school.  Did he have rage; the press suggests,
yes.

3.  Eugene Debs can be said to have rage.  It seems to be correctly
directed.

4.  The women in Fanshen have rage.  Their target seems correct; is the
implementation of rage correct.  Surely we cannot just say, 'anything
goes'.

5.  What of Malcolm X?

6.  What of the extremists in front of Terri Schiavo's hospice?

7.  What of race riots in New York City during the Civil War?

In sum, rage is not so easy to understand.

I've never read about 'good' rage and 'bad' rage, but surely not all rage
is progressive, not even rage within the working class.

Paul Z.

Vol.21-Neoliberalism in Crisis, Accumulation, and Rosa Luxemburg's Legacy
RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY, Zarembka/Soederberg, eds, Elsevier Science
********************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka