[OPE-L] Information Technologies and Absolute Surplus Value

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 08:14:09 EST

An interesting short article  "Overworked -- and angry about it."
The point of the article is that new technologies have made
possible an increase in overwork, including extending the working
day beyond customary hours and decreased vacation time.  I.e.
an increase in absolute surplus value has resulted from IT. [Note:
the report deals with "employees" , which includes categories of
personnel that we would consider to be unproductive labour or
even part of another class.]

Is this an international trend?  Are there other studies that support
this claim about IT and overwork?

< http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/local/11149624.htm >
> (c) 2005 MercuryNews.com and wire service sources.

(because this article is only available for a "limited time", I am including it
as an *attachment*).

In solidarity, Jerry