Re: [OPE-L] Happy Loyalty Day, 2005!

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sun May 01 2005 - 19:24:30 EDT

"Loyalty Day", it seems, was known as "Law Day" in 1988 during
the Reagan years.  See below. It is unclear to me why Reagan
would have wanted to re-name Loyalty Day.

btw, I just returned from a fun May Day celebration at Tompkins
Square Park.  A good anarchist friend of mine, another Jerry,
was the promoter for the event. May Day has quite a history in
Tompkins Square Park!  This year it was mostly a Techno concert
produced by another Lower East Side squatter and activist.  As
the last song was being played (and as the permit had just
expired) we were joined by a small demonstration which had
marched from Union Square -- another place with a long history
of May Day events!  A minute or two afterwards we were joined
by a group of about 40 street performers and vegetarians who
were playing (non-electric) musical instruments and who were
dancing.  They loooked a lot like Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts
Club Band!  Then a lot of the crowd started dancing.  I had a good
May Day.  What about you?

In solidarity, Jerry