Re: [OPE-L] Where does the money comer from : was Why aren't non-labourers sources of value?

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@UFPR.BR)
Date: Mon May 02 2005 - 20:01:15 EDT

In relation to the question of the need for more money in simple
reproduction and expanded reproduction.
There seems to be implicitely in Marx´s analysis (Chapter XVII Circulation
of surplus value, vol. II of Capital) some sort of competition between
gold production and credit system. In so far as the credit system raises
"the functional capacity of the quantity of money really functioning" it
diminishes the need for metallic money.
The question is then not one of  "downgrading the theoretical importance
of money" but rather to investigate how the credit system downgraded the
importance of gold within expanded reproduction.
I would like to understand better the relationship between credit system
and gold. For instance: if the credit system developed the way Marx
suggets, would this slow down the production of gold because since demand
falls prices would fall bellow prices of production? Which mechanism is
there connecting gold production and credit system?
Paulo