Re: [OPE-L] response to John Holloway

From: John Holloway (johnholloway@PRODIGY.NET.MX)
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 17:16:26 EDT

> Dear Michael,
>
>     Sorry to be slow again.
>
>     I’ll take some of your most important points:
>
>     On the question of the book being dogmatic: The main aim of the book was
> to get people talking and thinking about revolution – revolution in the sense
> of the abolition of capitalism and the creation of a communist society
> (however one might interpret that). Very explicitly the aim was to promote a
> discussion on the basis of the acceptance of the fact that we do not know how
> to make revolution. Within that framework I put forward the argument that
> capitalism cannot be abolished through the taking of state power, and at the
> end of the book I say “but we still do not know how to make the revolution, we
> have to think, we have to discuss.” In other words, I have my views, to which
> I am strongly committed and which I will put forward forcefully, but I want to
> discuss these views. As I said before, I see the argument as taking place
> within a movement, not as dividing the movement and not as leading the
> movement. Preguntando caminamos (asking we walk) is a central thread in the
> argument and structure of the book. I do not particularly want to defend the
> book for the sake of defending it, but I do not think this approach is
> dogmatic. And, as I mentioned before, the best commentaries have understood
> the book in this sense, saying in effect “Yes, let’s talk about revolution. I
> do not agree with you and this is why I think your argument is wrong and
> dangerous.” This sort of response from people who disagree with me I respect
> enormously. (There have of course been lots of others that proceed only be
> denunciation and disqualification.)
>
>     You say that the Venezuelan government is trying “to create a state of the
> Paris Commune-type (the kind that Marx advocated).” You use basically the same
> expression in your review of my book. Jerry pointed out that >Most anarchists
> wouldn't agree that the Paris Commune was a state.< to which you replied >If
> you've read John's book, tell me what you think he means by the state
and its relation to the Commune; he made efforts to ground his argument in
Marx but I don't recall any mention.<
            It is fundamental to the argument of the book that the
expression “a state of the Paris Commune-type” makes no sense at all. The
state is a particular form of social relations grounded in the separation of
the political from the economic and the separation of the public from social
control and the commune is exactly the opposite – a form of social relations
directed against the separation of the political from the economic and the
subjection of society to social control. The commune is a quite distinct
form of social organisation from the state, a form viscerally opposed to the
state. To think of the state as any form of social organisation makes the
whole discussion meaningless. The state is always a process of forming
social relations (that is social struggles) in a certain way, the commune as
an organisational form forms them or shapes them in a different way. When
you say that “the state has played a central role in the struggle against
the old order in Venezuela”, then I am not sure what this means. Clearly the
struggle did not originate in the state: it originated as a class struggle,
a popular struggle against the manifestations of capitalism. In the 1990s it
clearly became focussed on the state and the winning of state power, and the
process has been organised to a fairly large extent through the state in the
last few years. My question is how this form of organisation affects the
development of the struggle. Has it, for example, had the effect of
diverting anti-capitalist struggle into the form of anti-imperialism, a form
quite compatible with the continuation of exploitation and private
ownership? I do not know, I ask. You say, in effect (and translating you
into my terms) that the state has been trying to overcome its separation
from society, to dissolve itself as a state and convert itself into a form
of communal or council organisation. Is that what you’re saying, is that
really what’s happening? And if that is what you’re saying, can it really
work? Is it possible for a state to dissolve itself into a radically
different form of organisation, or will the established practices both of
state functionaries and of the people themselves, and the integration of the
state into the global multiplicity of states and above all the global
movement of capital, not make that impossible? I ask. Has the Venezuelan
state managed to liberate itself from the need to secure the profitability
of capital? And if it has not broken from that need, does that mean that it
necessarily promote the exploitation of labour? And if it has broken the
need to secure profitability, this presumably can only be on the basis of
the creation of an anti-capitalist form of social organisation. Is this
what’s happening? It seems to me that you start thinking from the state
(very understandable in your current situation) whereas we need to think
from society and from social struggle, class struggle.

     I do not doubt your sincerity, your enthusiasm glows. I do not
particularly doubt the sincerity of Hugo Chávez and of the many, many people
struggling for a radical transformation of society in Venezuela, but I do
have these doubts and questions. Of course I support the struggles in
Venezuela, my question, as I have said from the beginning, concerns the
relation between this struggle and the state as an organisational form. I
still feel that to focus struggle on the state is self-defeating: if you say
that the state is dissolving itself, I am delighted but dubious. Beyond this
I am reluctant to make pronouncements about what is happening in Venezuela:
partly I take warning from your own offensive and nonsensical remark about
the zapatistas.

    Another point: you say that the turn away from the state which is
characteristic of many struggles in Latin America and elsewhere is ‘the
stuff… of a period of defeat.’ Not surprisingly, I disagree completely. To
put it in autonomist terms, the turn from the state is a mark not of the
decomposition of the working class, but of its recomposition, and it is very
important for Marxists to understand this.

    Enough for now. My trip to Venezuela is currently planned for the last
week in October, so I hope we can meet there and carry on discussing.

    John