Re: [OPE-L] The Paris Commune, the State, and Venezuela

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 11:32:32 EDT

> You have made my point.  It is not so simple to just say "which side are
> you on".
> You give the example of Stalinists in Spain or Germany.

Paul Z,

_You_ offered the examples of Spain and Germany.  I discussed those
examples.

> I gave the example here of anarchists (since you mentioned anarchism).

I should point out that re the example that you gave about anarchists
that the _overwhelming_ majority of anarchists today oppose the
tactic of assasinating individual representatives of capital and the
state.  Indeed, there are undoubtably more people today who claim to be
Marxists who favor that tactic.

> In the instant case of Venezuela, Michael offered some useful
> observations about the complexity of the 'left' of there.

Yes, that's a useful point and one that I have made as well.

Have you read John's post today?  Wouldn't you agree that he
answered the questions that you asked at the beginning of that thread?

> I sense you feel anarchism
> is ipso facto on the workers side of the barricades, little discussion
> needed.

Well ... when have anarchists supported capital and the state against
the workers' movement?  I can't think of any examples.  Can you?

I think, though, that given John's latest clarifications there should
be _no_ question about whether he is supportive of the revolutionary
process in Venezuela or what side of the barricades he is on.

In solidarity, Jerry