Re: [OPE-L] further response to John Holloway

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 12:46:50 EDT

John,

<  5) I suggest to you that you cannot be consistent with your
<      book and not be an opponent of the Bolivarian Revolution. [M.L.]

<      I have already said several times that I support the
<      upsurge of revolutionary struggle in Venezuela. What worries
<      me very much, however, is that the label&#8220; Bolivarian
<      Revolution&#8221; identifies this process of struggle with
<      the state and effectively reduces it to the state and what
<      the state is doing. This I do not like. I feel very much that
<      you are looking at the world through state lenses. [J.H.]

John,

As I read you in this posting of yours, I miss lines of demarkation I had
expected.  However, I don't understand Michael as looking at the
Bolivarian process through state lenses.  Rather, I see contradictory
elements going on, but at the same time recognition that the power of the
state is extremely important and thus must be in the society (Venezuela)
lenses.  Michael is very much concerned with power of the people, not 'the
state', as I understand him.

In any case, to the extent you have answered in your terms the question I
had, thanks.  I guess we'll have to confront a concrete event to clarify
differences (do you expect a Kronstadt?).  Frankly, at this point, I don't
see what the fuss is about.

Paul Z.

RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY,  Paul Zarembka, editor,  Elsevier Science
********************* http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka