Re: [OPE-L] a comment on John's answers

From: John Holloway (johnholloway@PRODIGY.NET.MX)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 11:50:03 EDT

> [...]
> multitudes'. That not only gives us an answer to Paulıs initial question, but
> also gives a different basis for talking.
>
>     A number of points. Firstly, I do not support López Obrador. I said I
> opposed his exclusion (desafuero), a very different matter ­ if alll
> politicians had been excluded, I would have been delighted, but obviously that
> was not the case.
>
>     More important, on the Paris Commune: you quote chapter X of your book:
>
> Indeed, once established, it might face violent attempts by capital to reverse
> the process:
>         the catastrophes it might still have to undergo would be sporadic
> slaveholdersı insurrections, which, while for a moment        interrupting the
> work of peaceful progress, would only accelerate the movement, by putting the
> sword into the hand of the       Social Revolution (Marx, 1871a: 156-7).
>             Thus, the workersı state would be an essential part of the process
> of revolutionary practice, the process whereby workers change themselves in
> the course of struggles and Œbecome fitted to found society anewı. Yet, as
> Marx and Engels learned from the actions of workers in the Paris Commune, this
> process required a special kind of state. ŒThe working class,ı Marx (1871b:
> 68) commented, Œcannot simply lay hold of the ready-made state machinery, and
> wield it for its own purposes.ı Although Marx and Engels argued in their 1872
> Preface to the Manifesto that its Œgeneral principles were, on the whole, as
> correct today as ever,ı the Commune had Œprovedı something not in the
> programme--- the need for a new kind of state for workers (Marx and Engels,
> 1971: 270). The Commune was Œthe political form at last discovered under which
> to work out the economical emancipation of Labourı (Marx, 1871b: 75). At last
> discovered!
>
>     Isnıt there a sleight of hand here? When you say a new kind of state for
> workers (two lines from the bottom), this is you, isnıt it, rather than Marx
> and Engels, or am I wrong? For me, you cannot talk of the Commune as a state,
> it is a different form of organisation. Similarly, it is nonsense to talk of a
> Soviet State. Does it matter, or is it just an empty question of words? I
> think it matters a lot, because the term Soviet State obscures a conflict
> between two different forms of organisation, obscures that the State
> suppressed the soviets. What gets lost is the crucial a-symmetry between
> capitalist forms of organisation and anti-capitalist forms. The crucial point
> in any revolutionary process is surely the development of anti-capitalist, and
> therefore anti-state, forms of organisation, forms of organisation that do not
> exclude people but articulate their struggle. You say you want a ³state of the
> commune-type². I say that this glosses over the real issue: do you want a
> commune or a state? The two are incompatible.
>
>     On to what is, for me, the central point. You say:

 'Is it possible for a state to dissolve itself into a radically different
form of organisation, or will the established practices both of state
functionaries and of the people themselves, and the integration of the state
into the global multiplicity of states and above all the global movement of
capital, not make that impossible?'