Re: [OPE-L] How to Change Bolivia Without Taking Power?

From: John Holloway (johnholloway@PRODIGY.NET.MX)
Date: Sat Jun 11 2005 - 14:28:56 EDT

> (I believe I hit the "send" message by mistake. What I wanted to ask
> is below).
>
> Update to the following story:  President Mesa _has_ resigned.
>
> A question for John H:  if, as the story suggests, a state of
> seige is announced in Bolivia with the agreement of the
> Army, how can the revolution move forward _without_ "taking
> state power"?  What practical steps are required to move
> the revolutionary process forward?
>
> In solidarity, Jerry
>

> +--------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
> Luis Gomez, "Bolivia's Mesa Appears Close to Resigning"
> |  http://info.interactivist.net/article.pl?sid=05/06/07/0140242
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------+

Jerry,

    You wrote:

>A question for John H:  if, as the story suggests, a state of
seige is announced in Bolivia with the agreement of the
Army, how can the revolution move forward _without_ "taking
state power"?  What practical steps are required to move
the revolutionary process forward?<

    Sorry for not replying before. I think what's happening in Bolivia is
very important and very difficult.

    As I understand it, the real force behind the revolution is coming from
the people organised in local mass assemblies (cabildos) which are meeting
almost daily in El Alto and throughout the country, who have no interest in
taking power. The more moderate forces around Evo Morales are trying to
channel the uprising into state forms, focussing on the calling of new
elections and the winning of power, but certainly the tempo and tone for the
moment is being set by the radical forces with their seizure of oil
installations, their calls for nationalisation and drive towards the
immediate calling of a Constituent Assembly. I think the future of the
revolution and the prevention of military intervention depends very much on
the capacity of this assembly-based movement to continue developing its
strength. This is surely the central issue, but complex and difficult.

    Greetings,

    John