Re: [OPE-L] is algebra dialectical and vice versa?

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 09:15:03 EDT

> > And another (more basic) question is: *what is dialectical?*  I think
> > you  are using this term, for instance, in a very different way that
> > those who refer to "systematic dialectics" do.
> What do you mean by the term dialectical in this context?

Paul C:

I think you are repeating the same question I asked.  There is no
agreement among Marxists concerning the meaning of dialectics.
Within  the 'diamat' tradition, dialectics refers to a series of principles
which can be articulated concerning change.  This contrasts with the
standpoint of "systematic dialectics."   We previously had some discussion
re the meaning of  SD and "new dialectics" (and "materialist dialectics"
-- hi Andy).  See the thread from  March, 2004 including (Chris's)
http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/ope/archive/0403/0079.html

In solidarity, Jerry