Re: [OPE-L] is algebra dialectical and vice versa?

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 23:03:58 EDT

Hi Ian:

You addressed the following question to me (and I answered it from
my other address, but it was lost in cyberspace so here I go again):

> Can Hegel really "prove" the necessity of his categories?

The "proof" of the "necessity" of the categories can only be judged/
determined  based on the explanatory power of the categories in
the context of a reproduction in thought of the essential nature of
the subject matter.  That is, to determine  the necessity of the
categories  one has to look at the theory as a whole rather
than only the logic of the derivation of individual categories (although,
obviously, that is important as well).  The same could be said for
the proof of the necessity of categories in Marx's reconstruction
in thought of the essential character and dynamical tendencies of
the subject matter of capitalism.

In any event,  what would be considered to be "proof" depends in
part on whether one accepts the underlying premises of the
philosophical system.  Materialists would, for example, not
accept any "proofs" or "categories" which are derived on the
basis of idealistic-spiritual-religious premises/presumptions.
One has to recall that there are religious premises of Hegelian
theory and that is reflected in his logical reconstruction of
the subject of Mind/Spirit (in which, btw, a philosophy of nature
is a component part).

Addressing the necessity of logical categories in terms of
comprehending a real object requires some sort of  "realism
test" (or to use a popular expression, "reality check").  If this
is not done then one runs the risk of developing an entirely logical
and internally consistent theory which describes the functioning
of a merely hypothetical rather than a real object/subject.

In solidarity, Jerry