Re: [OPE-L] Sraffa and the productivity paradox

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 05:52:22 EDT

I have seen neo-classical ecnomists using this argument which may be
right. What seems to me to be interesting is the ambiguity of the
definitions of productivity and the attempts to compute the
marginal efficiency of computer capital using a Cobb-Douglas function.

This model differs from Sraffa's in that it is non-linear and
causality operates in the reverse direction.
Sraffa says that production of 1 ton of iron  uses up
0.4 ton of iron and 6 qrtr wheat.
The neo-classical model says that if
we  put in quantities K_1, K_2,L of inputs,
then we will produce Y of output.
Perhaps most significantly, the
Sraffian model measures all inputs and outputs in
physical terms whereas the neo-classical
model measures them in money terms.
From the Sraffian point of view the
measurement of capital in money
is a serious flaw since the valuation
of commodities depends upon the
distribution of income between labour
and capital. One can thus not hope
to measure the productivity of aggregations
of capital goods since the
valuation of these aggregations is itself
a function of the class distribution
of income.

From a classical standpoint the notion of
productivity measured in money
terms was ill-defined. The only context
in which one could define productivity was
as the inverse of labour values, an increase
in productivity was then equivalent
to a fall in the labour required to make goods.
Sraffa added to this concept the idea of the
productivity of the basic sector measured in terms of its own
inputs. One could in principle measure R for
different years and see if it has gone up after
the introduction of computer technology. Since there
were many other technical changes at the same time,
it would be hard to say whether such an increase
in R might have stemmed from computer technology or from
other innovations.

Beyond this point though, the concept of
the basic sector may provide another
reason why productivity gains due to
computers are so hard to discover.
Since computers are largely used in
non-basic sectors, Sraffian theory predicts
that they will leave R unchanged.

Of course investingation R is not the same thing
as investigating productivity in a neo-classical sense,
but it is the nearest analogue.