Re: [OPE-L] basics vs. non-basics

From: Diego Guerrero (diego.guerrero@CPS.UCM.ES)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 09:03:06 EDT

Paul C. wrote:
I don't see why Phil is opposed to the notion of a material

surplus?

I am opposed too inasmuch as this material surplus is conceived as something different from (labour) time surplus. Time, and so labour time, is a material fact; time is also one of the most important variables in physics. Labour time can be applied to, and conceived of, every commodity, including services. No other physical variable can be predicated of all commodities. People defending a notion of "material surplus" in production (different from time) should tell us in terms of what magnitude could we compute it: weigh, volume, surface...? It should be the same physical property and it should be present in any commodity, including services.

Moreover, can ayone say which is the surplus obtained when for instance transforming a Ton. of ore gold in a jewel of 10 grams of pure gold?

Diego