Re: [OPE-L] basics vs. non-basics

From: BHANDARI, RAKESH (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 22:29:20 EDT

Dear Diego,
Like many others, Austrians and value form Marxists, I am ambivalent about the attempt to deduce
abstract labor as the only likely common substance shared by commodities equated in and through
exchange.

I think Marx infers that reproducible commodites must be imputed with  properties by which they
can alert   individuated individuals whose relations are exclusively mediated by those self same
commodities to the need for the reallocation of social labor time demanded by social reproduction.
 The need is not met after all in a generalized commodity society by the transmission of a
traditional division of labour or through conscious dictatorship.

The social need for the reallocation of social labor time can only be met through the attribution
to commodities of a fantastic property which appears as if it were natural or perhaps primary or
even secondary.

Thus all the positivistic attempts by the Joan Robinsons and Ian Steedman's to do away with value
as metaphysics can do nothing to dissipate the necessary illusion that commodities possess value.
We cannot but be caught up in this distortion as long as the relations between individuated
individuals are mediated by things.

We will continue to talk about price and value and the disparity between the two simply because
it's the only way that we have to re-organize continuously our social labor which is what has to
be done before we use land or animals or make machines.

It marks an epoch in human history that we have gotten beneath what we mean by the value of a
thing to see that it is abstract social labor time.

But this is obfuscated in part by the fact that capitalist class has to power and incentive to
distort what we mean by value. While society must signal to itself the social labor time that has
to be allocated to different kinds of activity and it does so by making quantity and price
adjustments in the face of price-value disparities, the capitalist class distorts the value of
commodities by means of the power at its disposal through the ownership of the means of
production. Yet the capitalist class is not free to distort without limits value. Those limits are
explored in Marx's theory of production price.

The great contradiction between value and price of production is only a contradiction between
social requirements and class power. Value is not a model of precapitalist class society and
production price a model of capitalist commodity society. Value and price of production are
expressions of the contradiction between capitalist society as a human society and capitalist
society as an exploitative society. It is a contradiction within one and the same society.

Yours, Rakesh