Re: [OPE-L] basics vs. non-basics

From: Ian Hunt (ian.hunt@FLINDERS.EDU.AU)
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 20:54:15 EDT

Dear Ian,
Sorry, I meant, "why would the maximum rate of profit be set by the
natural reproduction rate of horses?"
I agree that the difficulty  is greater in a Sraffa style system
where the wage is part of a division of the net product. It is also
true that the standard commodity is developed is to show that the
maximum rate of profit is a dimensionless feature of the input-output
relations of the the industry producing the standard commodity. It is
not clear to me, though, that the maximum rate of profit of non-basic
industries is ever a dimensionless feature of the industry producing
the commodity, since their input-output matrices are never like that
of the standard commodity, which is a 'self-reproducing' commodity by
definition. Notionally, you could imagine an example where a
non-basic is like the standard commodity, but in this case (the
examples, even of 'beans', are not very realistic) assumption of a
uniform rate of profit would entail that the price of the output is
not determined by its cost of production. Maybe I am missing
something here...
Cheers,
Ian

--
Associate Professor Ian Hunt,
Dept  of Philosophy, School of Humanities,