Re: [OPE-L] Ricardo and Marx on embodiment

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 16:34:53 EDT

> I'd just re-iterate that it is vital to distinguish between 'embodiment'
> (Ricardo) and 'congealment' (Marx)

Andy:

1. Go to http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/index.htm
Go to the "Search Using Local Htdig database".  Under "Select
Archive to Search", select "Capital and Economic Mss" then
enter the word "embodied".  Hit the "Search!" button.   I got 75
matches.    Doesn't this suggest that  "embodiment" was a
concept (or a metaphor) that Marx  also employed -- at least
at times?   Doesn't this suggest that there isn't quite as strong
a contrast between Marx ("congealment") and Ricardo
("embodiment") as you are suggesting above?

2.  What meaningful difference is there between saying that
value is SNLT "embodied" in a commodity versus  saying
that value is SNLT  "congealed"  in a commodity?  As far
as I can tell, "embodied" and "congealed" (and "crystallized")
all mean the same thing in this context.

In solidarity, Jerry