Re: [OPE-L] [Fwd: Re: [OPE-L] basics vs. non-basics and financial services]

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 16:10:22 EDT

Neither of these.

If the rate of profit is too low relative to long term rates
of interest capitalists decline to accumulate constant capital.
This prevents extended reproduction and, if nothing is done will
lead to contracted reproduction. In either case unemployment will
rise significantly.

State expenditure on unproductive activities can create additional
demand which allows simple reproduction to take place by converting
some of the output into commodities which are not accumulated.
This corresponds to a shift in the working population out of the
production of means of production and into  the production
of weapons etc. The absorbtion of another part of the population
in unproductive financial activities also prevents accumulation since
the people who work in stock exchange offices of banks are people
who are not working in factories producing means of production.