Re: [OPE-L] basics vs. non-basics and financial services

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 10:46:21 EDT

I have read the example below and there seem to me to be three
problems with it.

1. This relates to how you account for the product of the servants.
    You show the capitalist as initially spending 2 person years on
    the wages of servants. This does not mean that the value of his
    total new net product is 12. His 12 factory workers produce
    12 person years new value, 6 of which are paid back as wages.
    But the servants will also work a long working day, 2 person
    years worth of expenditure on servants wages will allow him
    to employ 4 servants. Thus his consumption was originally
    3 person years production of ordinary consumer goods
    1 person years production of luxuries
    4 person years labour by servants
    Thus he is initially consuming 8 person years labour not
    6 as you show.

2. The second problem is that you have still done the calculation
    at the level of an individual capitalist not in terms of entire
    sectors as is done in volume II.
    Once you do this you have to ask 'who purchases the luxuries?'.
    If you construct an example you will find that the total number
    of person years appropriated by the capitalist class has not changed
    if the servants go to work in dept III.

3. You show that there is a larger net production of means of production
    after the transfer of the servants to making luxuries. This implies
    more employment in dept I which you can not examine properly because
    you are not working with reproduction equations.

I suggest that in order to isolate the question at issue, whether
a shift from domestic service to the production of luxuries adds to
surplus value, you try to construct an example encompassing the whole
economy, and explicitly modeling the allocation of the entire working
population.

--
Paul Cockshott
Dept Computing Science