Re: [OPE-L] Hegel's and Smith's historical materialism?

From: Christopher Arthur (arthurcj@WAITROSE.COM)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 16:41:25 EDT

>Am I off-track here?  Did Smith have a historical materialist
>perspective?  Did Hegel?
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

No.
Smith gives a theory of history going from agriculture to the twons to
foreign trade and then ruefully admits the real development was exactly the
opposite!
For a study of Hegel's early work see my chapter on him in my book 'The New
Dialectic and Marx's Capital' It is true he gives more importancce to
labour in the early work but it is still in the interests of the spirit.
Chris

17 Bristol Road, Brighton, BN2 1AP, England