Re: [OPE-L] Hegel's and Smith's historical materialism?

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 06:19:47 EDT

At 10:22 +0100 7-10-2005, Andrew Brown wrote:

>I'd suggest Smith and classical political economy were certainly
>materialist (they had classes based on production, they introduce the
>LTV) but not really historical because capitalist classes are taken as
>natural and 'history' merely a set of aberrations prior to the natural
>(capitalist) order.

I would rather say that if one reads ALL Smith's
WN, the capitalist order is a likely chance, and
definitely there can be better capitalisms than
the Manchesterian one, and that the only
justification for capitalism is that the
invisible hand produces the bettering of workers
condition, changing the beggars in labouring
poors, and less poor as long as competition
regulates entrepreneurs and pushes up the real
wage.

hence, there was an history before, there is an
alternative possible history somewhere else, and
yes capitalism is justified as long as it drives
up employment and wages.

it would be nice if it would be not a piece of fiction

--
Riccardo Bellofiore
Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche