Re: [OPE-L] Hegel's and Smith's historical materialism?

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Sun Oct 09 2005 - 04:58:30 EDT

Chris,
Those two paragraphs actually confirm my position. If
you look at the bottom of the paragraph 4, just a page
before the last two paragraphs, Smith writes:
"Had human institutions, therefore, never disturbed
the natural course of things, the progressive wealth
and increase of the towns would, in every political
society, be consequential, and in proportion to the
improvement and cultivation of the territory and
country."
The last paragraph is just a lamentation that human
agency in most of the Western countries have
interfered with the natural order given that the
merchants and the manufacturers have been closer to
the political power. Actually, on my reading, Adam
Smith is highly physiocratic both in theory as well as
in basic attitude towards agriculture. It is a few
centuries of British writings on Smith that has
laboriously tried to suppress this aspect of Smith to
claim some sort of originality for the British. I'm
not interested in the controversy whether Smith had
developed his ideas before he came in contact with the
Physiocrates--he might have developed the idea of the
virtue of free trade on his own, but the fact remains
that his thinking in the Wealth of Nations is highly
physiocratic. Cheers, ajit sinha

http://mail.yahoo.com