Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General

From: John Milios (jmilios@HOL.GR)
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 13:09:30 EDT

Michael L.,

In support of Michael H.'s argument I would say the following:Initially Marx
reflected on the distinction between causal determinants and forms of
appearance [a distinction which, as you point out, Marx never abandoned] on
the basis of the concept of "capital in general", as opposed to the
"competition of many capitals" (whereby the latter became comprehensible as
the form of appearance of the former). He clearly distinguished then not
only between the hidden causal relathionships of the capitalist mode of
production and their forms of appearance, but also between these causal
relationships -the "laws of capitalism"- (capital in general) and THE MANY
CAPITALS (individual capital), which he considered belonging to the forms of
appearance. However, his analysis of the formation of the general rate of
profit led him to an understanding of competition also as a determining
factor of capitalist relations ("laws"). Thus, in CAPITAL he abandoned the
notion of "capital in general" (as OPPOSED TO the many capitals) and
formulated the concepts of SOCIAL CAPITAL (involving all causalities of the
capital relation on the level of the whole economy, but having also
empirical articulations, i.e. dimensions referring to empirical regularities
-e.g. the "production prices") on the one hand, and INDIVIDUAL CAPITAL on
the other.

In solidarity,

John