Re: [OPE-L] the virology and political economy of two self-reproducing non-basic products

From: Ian Hunt (ian.hunt@FLINDERS.EDU.AU)
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 20:14:10 EDT

Dear Jerry,
Sraffa's book is 'production of commodities by means of commodities'.
So I doubt a self-replicating non-commodity could count as a good
example of a self-replicating commodity to replace the (defective)
'beans' example. The virus is not exchanged as a use-value with those
who receive it, and so it is a not a commodity - nor is it a
'use-value' to those who receive it - in the phase of its existence
(its use or 'consumption') when it is self-replicating. You are right
that it is a 'use-value' to those who create it and that viruses
could in principle be marketed as commodities, as guns are
(recognition files are marketed by anti-virus software merchants and
these no doubt have a copy of the code string of the virus within
them). But even it it were a commodity it would still not be
self-replicating in its production phase but only in its phase of use
or 'consumption' as a weapon, nuisance, or expression of malice,
depending on what sort of damage it does. In its production phase it
would be replicated with minimal time and resources - this ease of
replication is the problem music companies now have with songs,
replicated with minimal resources as MP3 files - but the time
involved in its gestation would be amortised over the copies, so
there would be more resources than the virus itself involved its
replication as a product. Computer viruses should be seen as black
part of a 'gift' economy, where something bad rather than good is
transferred, for which it would be inconceivable - outside Christian
forgiveness ("if thy enemy smite thee, kiss him on the cheek") - for
a good like money to be given in return by the recipient,
Cheers,
Ian

--
Associate Professor Ian Hunt,
Dept  of Philosophy, School of Humanities,