Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 23:37:10 EDT

Michael, John, and others,

I don't think Michael L's challenge can be left aside as metaphor.  (I mean
if we're going after metaphors there are others that haunt our discussions
to be sure!)  Suppose we speak of depth.  Certainly we are familiar with
levels of organization in nature -- from subatomic particles to molecules to
cells to organisms to ecosystems -- and we don't explain the inheritance of
purple or white leaves by the inspection of features of the pea plant
accessible to the unaided eye.  There is a difference between depth and
surface and this has to do with essence, as Michael suggests, and levels of
organization.  Interest, etc., which appear in Book III all work at a much
richer level of determination than what was originally targeted (by
abstraction, as Michael suggests) by capital in general.  Perhaps there must
be a new theoretical framework, but as far as I can see dropping the term
'capital in general' ('general' after all easily generates misunderstandings
and precisely of the sort in fact that fail to distinguish between surface
and deep structure) does not change Marx's concept of the deep structure of
capital.

Howard