Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 10:17:30 EDT

At 9:29 AM -0400 10/12/05, Jerry Levy wrote:
>Michael H:
>
>I have attached Fred's paper that I asked about below.  I realize
>now that you haven't really had time to write an answer as Fred's
>paper was presented Summer, '05 in Mexico.
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

  Since Fred is arguing that capital in general refers to the
aggregate surplus value which then limits and constrains individual
capitals, he would be defining capital in general in terms of the
third definition which I provided. I had written:

Is capital in general merely the set of attributes common to all
capitals; is it the general heading for all capitalists; is it the
name of the social relation by which all capitals are constrained; is
capital in general itself a real individual? I have argued for the
last.

I think Chris Arthur is arguing for the last too since when I made my
argument here he reminded me that he had developed the argument in
his forthcoming book.

Yours, Rakesh