Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 01:29:42 EDT

Hi Andrew,
1. I took the category of virtuality not from quantum mechanics but
post-structuralism in which the possibility/realization couplet has
been
replaced with the virtuality/actualization one. I am not wedded to
this idea at all.
2. I am not trying to derive a positive ontology from quantum
mechanics; only to weaken our institution that measurement has to be
of a thing independently existing of the measurement.
3. The general point is of course ontological. Mine would tend to
emphasize relations, i.e. things have the properties they do as a
result of the relations in which held, not as a result of their
inherent properties. This is an old point made by by the neo Kantian
Cassirer, the austro marxist Max Adler, the sociologist bourdieu, and
(as Chris Arthur has put it), Ollman with his idea of inner-actions.
So I do not think the relative form of value can be said to possess
value outside of its relationship to the general form of value. Value
is brought into existence at the level of the system of relations.
And not outside of it.

Value is after all a social relation.

Yours, Rakesh