Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 11:32:15 EDT

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:25:54 +0100
  Andrew Brown <A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK> wrote:

Paul,

Yes - we are on similar lines. As you rightly say, following Marx,
any individual commodity has an ideal price, prior to sale, which
expresses its value and makes it a value prior to sale (though sale
is precarious and value may be lost if sale cannot eventually be
effected). Thus any individual commodity is an actual value prior to
sale (but this value only has an ideal form of expression prior to
sale).
Yes I don't agree--see below

Sticking with this persepctive, then it is the form of expression of
value (which I also refer to as the power conferred by value,
generalised purchasing power), which is made real by sale. This is
indeed the 'realisation' of value but note how easy it is to
misinterpret 'realisation' as meaning that value itself does not
exist, and therefore has to be made real, prior to sale. The
situation is similar with 'use-value'. Use value is only 'realised'
in actual use (consumption) but nevertheless the commodity is a
use-value prior to its consumption.

But use value is not a social relation per se; it is a relation
between user and thing.
It can be a use value outside of a social relation. In saying that
commodities have ideal price before exchange, Marx is arguing against
view that magnitude of value is simply in the eyes of the beholder,
that value is determined in terms of a
subjective (and thus more or less arbitrary) estimation of use value
or marginal utility and that the buyer's money is what magically
makes commodities commensurable (rather than their already
potentially representing some aliquot of homogeneous social labor
time which money simply measures).   Value form theory seems close to
holding the second proposition, though it is true again that
measurement is an active process in the sense that social labor
becomes practically more homogeneous, practically more abstract with
the generalized production of commodities for money (abstract labor
gains a greater practical validity with the development of capitalist
society). Money (as the telos of production) shapes social labor in
its own image. But it is not money that in the first instance that
makes commodities a potential representation of some aliquot of
homogeneous social labor time, that is values in potentia. That
belief was maintained for some time as noted (if I remember
correctly) in Joel Kaye's book on the medieval economy.

At any rate,  magnitude of value is not determined IN exchange itself
(though whether a commodity is a value is indeed determined
there--hence my difference with you, Paul B and Fred); magnitude is
determined behind the backs of commodity exchangers in terms of
socially necessary average (re-)production time. But this does not
imply that it is correct to abstract from demand in determination of
magnitude of value, for if there is a strong
positive demand shift to a commodity (Carchedi), then socially
average labor time per unit may well fall as a result of economies of
scale (OPE-Ler Charles Andrews makes the same point). Marx does not
in fact abstract from use value or demand
(on this Marx is insistent--see Notes on Wagner); they figure in his
theory but in a very different way than in Menger's or Jevons'
formulations. Especially use value, which refers to material
characteristics and physical quantities of commodities--not
subjective states of mind.

Yours, Rakesh