Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 12:25:11 EDT

Hi Rakesh,

You wrote:
"But use value is not a social relation per se; it is a relation between
user and thing."

There are of course many disanalogies between use-value and value. I
have no reason to disagree with what you say about use-value. My point
related to one aspect only, viz. what we mean when we say 'realised'.
And here there is a similarity between use-value and value. Both are
'realised' after the commodity is produced: use-value in consumption,
value in sale. In both cases it is very easy to misinterpret of the term
'realised'. It is a misinterpretation to consider that use-value does
not exist before it is realised, and to think that value does not exist
before it is realised. What does not exist in each case is the
actualisation of the respective powers involved.

Many thanks

Andy