Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@EBMS-LTD.CO.UK)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 10:57:31 EDT

Fred, thank you for taking the time to write up your reply. The point I am
trying to make is that, if as you and I agree, Capital is all along
effectively dealing with a theoretical process of the appropriation of
reality through the construction of mediating categoriesm, then the  notion
of the Supply of commodities at market prices possibley being equal to the
demand for them, presumably in particular departments, can only come in your
'6th' book, as a matter of 'reality', the most concrete complete sensuous
level. All the quotes you provide simply restate the assumption that the
'realisation' problem can be explained as arising from the development of
the commodity, and then money, etc as an historical process, but that
throughout the three volumes Marx constantly reverts back to the theoretical
supposition of the absence of a realisation problem in order to explain
better a series of  other fundamental relations, eg Rent and Surplus value.
He does not use the expression 'I here assume demand is = to supply'  ever!!
I don't think he would or could at thius stage.

Now I understand what you are saying, but I think the use of this particular
vocabulary implies a mortaly dangerous jump in the direction of another
level of analysis requiring different 'words' , and is thus really quite
confusing, and also quite unecessary.

Best regards

paul