Re: [OPE-L] Value and Exploitation

From: Ian Hunt (ian.hunt@FLINDERS.EDU.AU)
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 22:07:58 EDT

Dear Jerry,
It depends on what the accusation is: if the accusation is that value
is separated from capitalist exploitation in the workplace, then
"trans-historical" (or multi-system accounts of value) need not stand
accused just because they cannot say that wherever there is value
production, there is capitalist exploitation (or even some form of
exploitation through appropriation of surplus value, if there are
systems of value production in which no exploitation occurs).
For they can say that a necessary condition of capitalist
exploitation is the transfer of surplus value created in the process
of production and they can say that the appropriate measure of
capitalist exploitation is the rate of surplus value. Perhaps that is
enough for Paul B.
This defence of accounts of value which do not treat it as
exclusively a relation of capitalism is not support for the charge of
"oddness", which I think can be answered by saying that it accords
with the notion that capitalists who fail to sell their product do in
fact fail to exploit their workers, no matter how hard they tried to
do so (the complaint seems analogous to complaining that feedback to
students oddly has no connection with reading student essays once you
claim that reading essays  counts as part of a process of providing
feedback to students only if the assessment is eventually handed over
to them)
Cheers,
Ian

--
Associate Professor Ian Hunt,
Dept  of Philosophy, School of Humanities,